How to help your client choose a home inspector
Helping you client choose a home inspector is not an easy task. There are many factors to consider, some of which have legal implications. Some things to consider are outlined below. I believe you’ll see that my company stands out in many ways – the most important being that we are completely dedicated to the profession. Our only goal is to provide our mutual clients with the best home inspection possible. My inspectors and I do not have other jobs. We are full time home inspectors. And proud of it. It would be our pleasure to help in providing professional home inspection services to your clients.
We’re in this together
Your Inspector Guy is committed to fostering confidence and a professional rapport with you and our mutual clients. We will always work with you to ensure the client understands the issues that may be raised during our inspection. We will always be available to discuss any situation. Read Our Promise.
- Red Flag: your home inspector does not develop a positive relationship with your client or does not respond to you or your client in a timely manner.
The most important selection criteria is independence. A quality, unbiased inspection depends on it. Your Inspector Guy has no financial or business relationship with any other business, real estate brokerage, or real estate agent whatsoever. We operate no other business besides home inspections. We work for you and you only. Read Our Promise.
- Red Flag: your home inspector has financial relationships, or any other relationship for that matter, with any other party involved in your real estate transaction.
Complete Focus on Home Inspection Services
Your inspection company should be focused on conducting independent home inspections. The interests of your client, and only their interests should be served. Your Inspector Guy has a single focus – home inspection services. We are not involved in any other endeavor or business. We are not property managers, or contractors, or conducting home inspections between other gigs or anything else. Our business is not a side line to another business interest, this is our livelihood. We inspect and that’s it, we do not generate other business based on your client’s inspection.
- Red Flag: Your home inspector advertises, performs services other than home inspections or offers to do work based on the results of your client’s home inspection. Besides being prohibited by state home inspection statues it is not in keeping with sound business ethics.
Professional Associations – ASHI or FABI
Membership in a professional home inspector association is a must. Unfortunately for the industry, not all associations are the equal. Some are almost solely marketing oriented and focus on generating business, not necessarily doing the business. Some associations are no more than marketing businesses that cater to home inspectors. We believe the best associations support our profession by being technically oriented. For us the choices are simple. Your Inspector Guy is a member both the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) and the Florida Association of Building Inspectors. (FABI). ASHI and FABI are the recognized national and state leaders of technical oriented home inspection associations.
- Red Flag: Lack of membership in professional associations. Membership in associations other than ASHI or FABI.
Anyone conducing home inspections in Florida must be licensed through the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Continuing education and training is required.
Check Darrel’s license here: HI8461
- Red Flag: Discrepancies in licensing.
Home inspections are a lot of work. Florida heat can be debilitating. We will not normally schedule more than two individual inspections a day for any one inspector.
- Red Flag: Heavy scheduling that does not allow for the individual attention your inspection deserves.
The state requires minimum insurance. You can be confident that Your Inspector Guy is covered with current insurance that more than meets the minimum.
- Red Flag: Operating without required insurance.
Training that concentrates on the technical knowledge and the home inspection process. Many home inspection schools are heavily focused on marketing or business management. Read Why Choose Us
- Red Flag: Training that focuses on business or marketing vice the technical.
Knowledge of the real estate transaction
Understanding of the Real Estate transaction and how the home inspection fits in. We are very well versed in how the inspection and inspection reports fit within the real estate transaction. Home inspections are one of the few vendor services mentioned in most real estate contracts.
- Red Flag: Lack of confidence in how your inspection and report is used in a real estate transaction.
Rates & Fees
Look for fair rates and fees based on value, quality and industry standards. Your Inspector Guy continuously reviews our rate schedule to ensure fair competitive rates that reflect the value of our services. We do not offer cut rate services. Rates are not the best way to choose a home inspector – you get what you pay for – there is always someone that will do the lower quality work for less.
- Red Flag: Special deals, low rates inconsistent with quality inspection processes. It bears repeating – you get what you pay for.
Referrals are a great way to help choose an inspection company, however not all referrals are equal. We only accept referrals that are freely given and based on our professionalism and through inspections. We do not pay for referrals or participate in the poplar nationally advertised referral or rating services. They are not what they appear, read more below. Read Why Choose Us.
- Red Flag: A purchased referral or one that is based on a financial arrangements between the parties in your real estate transaction. Always ask.
Our reports are released only after our thorough quality assurance process is completed. We do not offer reports on site as we feel it is virtually impossible to produce an error free product in that situation. All our reports are reviewed by another qualified reviewer, even mine – Your Inspector Guy.
- Red Flag: Weak or limited quality assurance system. Reports delivered on site.
Your Inspector Guy chooses not to participate in popular marketing or rating services like Angie’s List or Better Business Bureau, etc. You’ll be as surprised as we were after learning how they really work. Your interests may not be well served by these referral services. The bottom line – it’s very easy to ‘game’ the system, and even worse, the greater the service provider membership fees – the better the rating or referral. There are even marketing companies whose sole business purpose is ensuring high ratings along with good referrals and testimonials. Sad but true. When I look for professional help I immediately reject the A+++ rated vendor. Your best bet is an old fashioned personal referral based on a good product and good service.
- Red Flag: High ratings or referrals that are not based on a verifiable history of performance. Purchased referrals.
Look for membership in professional associations. Not all associations are the same. Some are marketing oriented and focus on getting your business, not necessarily doing the business. We believe the best associations are educational and technically oriented. Your Inspector Guy is a member both the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) and the Florida Association of Building Inspectors. (FABI). ASHI and FABI are the recognized national and state leaders of technical oriented home inspection associations.
- Red Flag: Lack of membership in professional associations. Membership in associations other than ASHI or FABI.
Local and Personalized
Look for a local businesses with a business structure that can address your individual needs. A team member will always answer your calls or communication with Your Inspector Guy that can answer your questions with no upsells or other marketing. There are no phone banks or central scheduling where an unknown contract inspector is assigned to inspect your property. We only want to sell products that you need. We do not upsell.
- Red Flag: Phone banks, answering services or central scheduling. Representatives reading or using an upsell script.
Some franchise organizations are marketing or business office management systems and may not be oriented toward providing professional home inspection services. Processes, scheduling, services and rates may be based on corporate revenue requirements vice local conditions and client requirements. Your Inspector Guy has no corporate overhead. The client and professional home inspection practice are our only priorities.
- Red Flag: Marketing based franchise systems that may not have you as the first priority.
- Guy is an Affiliate of JTHS Association of Realtors as a Home Inspector. My clients have used Guy's services and been completely satisfied. Guy's professionalism helps ME, Help my clients get to the closing table!
Sharon Scott, REALTOR - SSRS at Coldwell Banker Real Estate Jupiter Florida
- Guy has done inspections for several of my clients and they were ALL extremely pleased with his thoroughness attention to detail.
-Thom Montrois, RE/MAX Properties
- I wish I could choose more than 3 best attributes to describe Guy's work. In addition to being reliable, punctual, and extremely personable, his work is impeccable. He is extremely thorough in his home inspections, taking photographs and detailed notes for the client's reference. He is also available for follow-up questions. I feel confident hiring Guy to do my home inspections, knowing that my clients will know exactly what they're buying. And, for my own reference, he is more than happy to explain to me any issues he finds during an inspection, so that I can review the results in detail with my clients.
I fully recommend Guy Hartman and Your Inspector Guy for your home inspection needs, whether you are a homebuyer, seller, or a real estate professional.
-David D'Onofrio, RE/MAX Properties
- I have recommended Guy to my customers repeatedly. They are always very satisfied with his inspection reports and feel that the inspection is complete and thorough. He takes the time to speak with them and answer any questions they may have. He is extremely knowledgable and trustworthy. Sincerely, Kristen
-Kristen Danzig, Realtor Jupiter & Juno Beach
- Simply, Guy is a thorough and knowledgeable home inspector. But what continually impresses me is Guy's ability to convey his findings in layman's terms, which not only educates clients and agents, but more importantly, calms the often anxious homebuyer. He is prompt, polite and a joy to work with. I use Guy on my personal purchases and always recommend him to my real estate clients.
-Katherine Scarim, Island Bridge Realty
- Guy Hartman at Your Inspector Guy Home Inspection Services provides consistent and excellent service in this industry. He has outstanding knowledge in his field and provides the client with an indepth report of the inspection and readily follows up with clients' questions. His assessment of issues which need to be addressed are handled in a professional manner without bias.
- Rosanne Tramonti, Coldwell Banker
- Great at what they do! They are always very honest and professional. And give great advice! Thanks Your Inspector Guy!
- Darrel did a great job in my latest inspection. On time, courteous and patient with my clients many questions ! I definitely recommend them.
-Emel Onur, LEAD Consulting Group
- As first time home buyers we were nervous going into the home inspection. Thank goodness we chose Guy and Darrel. They did a wonderful job and we could not be happier.
- Johnny and Brogan
- I have been using GUY for my inspections for a couple of years and he does an awesome job, my buyers and I have always been pleased.
- David McCallar, Golden Bear Realty